Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Rosario all roses

Philadelphia - Mike Rosario, or “Superstar-Mike” as he’s called at the Jersey City playgrounds, is in a good place. After a recent game at the RBK U camp on the campus of Philadelphia University, the top 50 recruit headed to Rutgers answered questions and was the definition of cool.

“I’m just growing up,” said Rosario. “I’m about to be a man. I’m going to Rutgers next year, so it’s going to be fun.

Fun is the operative word. No longer are coaches sending Rosario phone and text messages, or seen hounding the kid after tournaments in order to ask questions about his status.

“It’s more relaxing…it takes a lot of pressure off me because I know some colleges know that I’m already committed to Rutgers.”

But this is college recruiting and it’s more like the Wild West than anything else. One SEC coach could be overheard telling another that it’s a “free-for-all” and that’s including kids already off the supposed market.

“Schools are still reaching out to me,” said Rosario. “There has been a couple: Georgetown, Marquette.”

Rosario has played well enough over the weekend and was named to the RBK U All-Star game, along with a former Rutgers commit (Olu Ashaolu), a St. Anthony kid (Tyshawn Taylor) and a Rutgers target from Mount Vernon (Kevin Jones).

The reviews have been glowing since the summer began for Rosario, too. Just add another to the list in RBK U.

“Yea, I’ve seen a big change in my game,” said Rosario. “I’m starting to develop my game into an all-around player. I’ve just put a lot of work into my game. I’ve been in the gym all night, every morning, working out. I don’t take any days off.”

If Rosario could step into the shoes of Fred Hill, bagging South Kent Prep (CT) big man Christian Morris would top his to-do-list.

“I would like for (Morris) to come to our school because I think he will develop into a great player; not even a good player (but) a great player. He likes to work.

Rosario said he wasn’t aware of news breaking that Olu Ashaolu de-committed from Rutgers, either.

“He’s a friend of mine too, we’re cool,” said Rosario. “He’s a great player and he can develop here (at Rutgers). You know I’ll talk to him later and say ‘What’s up with RU, man?’”

“I don’t think he’ll (ultimately) change his mind, though. I doubt it.”

Rosario also said he’s excited to play an ESPN home game in Jersey City against Tyreke Evans, a top 10 recruit, and American Christian (PA) this season. He said he “wants to play against the best” and see how his game stacks up against the elite.

He then reiterated his loyalty to the program, and that he has spoken to his mother about the excitement to attend Rutgers and the ability for friends, family and coach Bob Hurley to see him play.

“There’s going to be history there,” Rosario said. “I want to be a part of that.”

No comments: