Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Durand Scott just gettin' started

AKRON – What school wouldn’t want a New York City guard?

Rutgers sure would love one, more specifically a rising junior from the Bronx.

Rice High guard Durand Scott (6-3, 180), who teams up with the UConn-bound Kemba Walker for “Book” Richardson’s formidable AAU squad, the New York Gauchos, has reportedly been offered a scholarship from the Scarlet Knights.

Scott said he has learned some pointers from Walker, who made his commitment midway through the summer and before his senior season.

“He’s said it gets stressful, with coaches calling and text (messaging you all the time,” said Scott, who lit up Christ the King for 28 points in a semifinal loss in March.

“Most of the times I actually try to ignore it. I’ll leave my phone at home because I just get so much (attention). It does get stressful.”

The Scarlet Knights are one of many teams, including Arizona, North Carolina, Miami Seton Hall and Florida, to have shown interest in Scott, who attended the Nike Lebron James Skills Academy in Akron and was put through various drills focusing on basketball fundamentals.

Scott, surprisingly, is not a basketball fan. He just doesn’t get into it. “You can ask anybody,” he said.

No matter, Scott is developing a rabid following after just two years at Rice, and with that, some appreciation of the sport that will eventually send him to college.

“Now, as I’m getting older, I realize I need to watch it to see what I can learn from them.”

By watching more hoops, Scott says, he’ll be more informed of a good place to land. “One of the top schools I like watching is Ohio State,” although the Buckeyes have yet to offer Scott.

Scott said has yet to take any visits, but there is plenty of time for that. His first choice though would be a trip to the South.

“Probably Miami,” said Scott. “I like the surroundings out there: you have the nice weather (and) the beach.”

No comments: