Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Q" the Knights?

PHILLY – Quintrell Thomas is yet another talented prospect from Kevin Boyle’s basketball factory at St. Patrick, the two-time defending T of C champions in New Jersey

So it’s only a matter of time when Thomas, a rising senior who graduates in 2008, joins a Celtics pipeline that flows to Division I schools and sometimes the N.B.A.

The recent fraternity has included various types of players.

Al Harrington (‘98) and Samuel Dalembert (’00) were first round draft picks and are still playing in the N.B.A. Both Shaheen Holloway and Grant Billmeier went to Seton Hall and made the NCAA Tournament. And Thomas’ former teammates, Corey Fisher (Villanova) and Jeff Robinson (Memphis), are headed to high majors as impact freshmen.

So when will Rutgers enter the fray and tap into an already luscious gold mine at St. Patrick, a catholic school in Elizabeth known for outfitting a nationally recognized basketball team?

Well Thomas may be the guy who bucks the trend. He’s a hustling 6-8, 230-pound forward who says he likes to play in transition and has shown the giddy-up to prove it.

“My AAU coach and me are going to have to sit down and look at which schools play my style,” said Thomas after a game at Rbk U. “Because I can’t play at a school that just runs a half-court offense.”

Thomas has been called a “throwback type” by some. Colleges like his defense and athleticism and his ability to run the floor. “They like that I can play in between the three and four,” he added.

Cue the Scarlet Knights. They need a guy like Thomas for their three of four spot, a good sign presumably for Rutgers.

“I do need to start looking at which schools need (me), and not just that they want (me),” he admitted.

With recent reports of Olu Ashaolu’s de-commitment and a dearth of forwards on its roster, RU may have intensified its view on Thomas. They watched intently at midcourt during one of Thomas’ games at Rbk U over the weekend.

“Rutgers is cool. I like the school and the coach. And everyone around there I know.”

Thomas has visited just two schools, the Scarlet Knights and Maryland. His mother especially likes Wake Forest, even though the family has yet to visit the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest is also dedicated its time for one extremely talented, five-star prospect.

Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports recently stated on his blog that Wake Forest is in the lead for Al-Farouq Aminu, who plays Thomas’ position and is in the penthouse of the latest Rivals rankings, rated No. 3.

“My mother has made her suggestion. She’s stuck on Wake Forest,” said Thomas. “She likes the academic situation.”

Seton Hall has one remaining scholarship offer for the class of ‘08 and should not be discounted, either, along with Marquette.

“I have, like, 18 offers,” said Thomas. “So I need to start narrowing down soon. It’s going to be hard, but I’m going to try to make a decision by the end of the summer.”

That decision will not be easy. “I probably like 11 of the 18, so that’s the hard thing about it,” said Thomas.

However, sooner rather than later Thomas is headed somewhere in Division I, just like the many prospects who have ridden the bountiful St. Patrick pipeline.

No comments: